Saturday, June 4, 2011

30 day song challenge - Day 11

Day 11 – A song from your favorite band

Picking my favorite band is like picking my favorite song. It depends on my mood, my age, the time of day, how many cocktails I've had.... Today, it's my birthday. And I'm picking Phish. I started listening to Phish in high school as most of my friends did. The band is from just across the lake from my hometown of Plattsburgh, NY and I like to think that *we* knew about them before anyone else. Well, us and the entire student body of UVM... My dad told he met them once, before they were 'famous' at a philosophy convention since some (all?) of them were philosophy majors at UVM. That made my dad cool. For that day. Phish got me through high school. my early college years, the summers between college years....

I've fallen off the Phish wagon in the recent years. They announced their retirement, but like all the greats (and no-so-greats) they're back on tour this summer. I wish, in a way, I could go to a show. But, I don't know if I even would go if I could. I really like my memories of my 10+ shows, the friends I had at those shows, the drugs that were ingested, the memories created. I think I'll let those past experiences be just that - *past* experiences. I would hate for my 34 year old self try to live up to or change my 19 year old self's memories.

So, one of the first songs I was exposed to that was performed in my lovely hometown at one of Phish's first multi-day festivals, The Clifford Ball. I was in the crowd. Can you see me? Just kidding. I was there though.... Enjoy.


No comments: